This is an exciting and challenging role on the Ockam Team. Ockam is building open source, end-to-end encrypted and mutually authenticated communication protocols and libraries that can work in resource constrained, intermittent connectivity IoT devices and connected machines. We provide these capabilities to developers as SDKs for embedded systems and edge devices.
We're using Rust to build the core cryptographic capabilities of Ockam and expect this Rust core to be used by wrappers in C, Elixir, Python and many other languages. We also expect that because of the nature of the embedded ecosystem (existing libraries, proprietary tools etc.) our Rust code will have a strong relationship with C. In this role you will be responsible for building the core components of our Ockam Rust code base.
Because of the broad-base of environments where the Ockam Embedded and Ockam Edge SDKs may be deployed in the field, you will build for ARM, RISC-V, cryptographic modules, and secure enclaves. Ockam is transport agnostic so you will also be developing messaging and authentication capabilities that work across TCP/IP, LoRa, Bluetooth and other common transport protocols that are common in modern IoT and Edge deployments.
Ockam is a small and extremely senior team. This role involves architecture, interface design, writing code, responsibility for testing, and publishing documentation. Everyone on the Ockam team takes responsibility for their parts from end-to-end, including the creation of long term objectives, issues in GitHub, task management, and summaries of key results.
- Building complex code bases in the Rust language
- Embedded systems hardware
- API design
- Individual and collaborative project management leadership
- Git and GitHub's workflow
- Modern CI/CD pipelines and DevOps
- Consuming and contributing to open source codebases
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Cryptography libraries and Public Key Infrastructure (PKI)
- Multiple programming languages, including Rust and C.
- This is a Level 4 role at Ockam.
- Individuals that consider themselves to be Level 3 or 5 are also encouraged to apply.
- For more information about Role Levels at Ockam, [click here for our guide].
Ockam is a distributed, remote-first team with a headquarters in San Francisco California.