Alta Journal seeks a newsletter editor. This is a freelance, remote position.
Alta publishes two weekly newsletters and is planning to add two more fairly soon. The newsletter editor will collaborate with members of the Alta team across editorial, design, events, and marketing functions.
The ideal candidate has 2-5 years of experience at a journalistic organization, has worked on newsletters (and reads them regularly), and is someone who shares our enthusiasm for the arts and culture of California and the West. The person must be capable of juggling tasks and meeting deadlines; they are someone who is comfortable making decisions and knows how to use publishing tools like MailerLite or Mailchimp (or similar email platforms), a CMS like WordPress (we use Hearst MediaOS), Google Docs, and others. The job requires a commitment to the best journalistic practices, refined taste, and a willingness to take risks and have fun.
As the job title suggests, Alta's newsletter editor will fulfill these responsibilities:
- Oversee all aspects of our current weekly newsletters (Alta and the California Book Club) from inception through delivery.
- Lead the development of future newsletters.
- Work closely with members of the editorial and marketing teams as appropriate at each stage of newsletter production: assignment, writing, editing, design, uploading for delivery, and so on.
- Write small bits of copy (join today!) for our marketing emails and onsite promotions.
- Work to improve existing newsletter production processes.
The newsletter editor is a freelance position and reports to the managing editor. The expected time commitment is roughly 20 hours/week. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Interested? Send a cover letter and resume to
ABOUT ALTA JOURNAL:
With a mix of stories as diverse and vibrant as the place it covers, Alta Journal demystifies and illuminates California and the West for our readers. From provocative essays to investigative pieces, original fiction to cultural commentary, sumptuous photos to topical cartoons, the quarterly examines this compelling and complex region through a literary lens. To learn more, visit: altaonline.com.
Remote Tech Jobs