The ICT Specialist will provide advice and perform a specialized technical function in developing databases, cloud-based data pipelines, data management infrastructure, advanced Artificial Intelligence research, and cloud and machine learning implementation to support strategic decision making in DPO on Action for Peacekeeping (A4P). The expert will put in place an integrated cloud-based database and set of Application Program Interfaces (APIs) to improve comprehensive performance assessment of peacekeeping via the A4P framework.
The ICT Specialist Specialist will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develop Microsoft Azure Cloud databases and implement the surrounding cloud infrastructure for A4P reporting;
- Develop and maintain a set of application program interfaces (APIs) to ensure secure data transfers
- Ensure easy integration of the cloud environment with data sources and for data users
- Provide advice on the development of the data management approach of the IMU;
- Analyze client’s data analytics requirements;
- Perform ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner;
- Develop documentation and training materials;
- Train staff with data and analytics related problems;
- Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
The work shall be submitted in digital formats as follows:
- Provide Microsoft Azure Cloud databases and necessary supporting infrastructure securely integrated within the UN tenant
- Develop and maintain a set of application program interfaces (APIs) to ensure secure data exchange
- Develop and maintain a set of secure cloud-based data pipelines
- Provide training to the staff/team on how to solve analytical data engineering, and machine learning/AI problems in business intelligence, knowledge management, and predictive analytics to build capacity.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) preferably in Computer Science, Economics, Data Science, Information Systems Management, Machine Learning, or related field.
- A first-level university degree in similar fields in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two (5) years of experience in data science, data analytics, and data management is required;
- Experience in using programming languages such as Python, Java, or other similar languages is required;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools is required.
Desired experience: (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
- Experience applying machine learning or algorithmic techniques to solve public sector problems is desired;
- Experience in relational databases such as Microsoft SQL Server and other databases is desired;
- Experience with creating automated reports and dashboard using MS Power BI, Tableau, Access, SSRS or any other similar analytics toolsets is desired;
- Experience in development, implementation and maintenance of cloud based systems desired;
- Experience with Microsoft Azure desired;
- Experience in supporting qualitative and quantitative analysis of peacekeeping operations in conflict or post-conflict country settings is desired;
- A passion for empirical investigation and for answering hard questions with data in a clear and precise way is desired;
- Previous experience in the UN system and/or in other intergovernmental organizations is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an asset.