Hands on CTO for non-profit on a mission: To discover and develop the potential in everyone
Hello World is a new non-profit on a mission to build a community that helps discover and develop the potential in everyone. We’re out to improve the way potential is identified and amplified so that we find people that traditional talent systems overlook. We are starting with a focus on teens ages 15-17 who aim to serve others. We are building a global-first, mobile-first platform to help notice teens and connect them with opportunities (fellowships, scholarships, etc). It's like LinkedIn meets Snapchat meets something entirely new.
Our product is live on iOS and Android and growing quickly. Go check it out! In the few months since we've been live, we're already placed 10k teens from around the world with opportunities. By the end of 2021, we intend to place 20k more and by 2025 we'll place 1M.
We have an amazing team of supporters. The Eric and Wendy Schmidt Strategic Innovation Fund is our first funder. We've already partnered with world leaders in nurturing the potential in underserved youth including - Rise by the Rhodes Trust and Schmidt Futures, the African Leadership Academy, the Ivy House Award, Civics Unplugged, the Global Citizen Year Academy, and AIME. Our board includes Sal Khan, the founder and CEO of Khan Academy.
No black boxes When it comes to communications - no surprises, no BS, no drama and sunshine is always the best disinfectant.
Team first, team second, team third When it comes to behavior - care for the collective, have our back, be conscientious of your impact on others...always.
When you know better, do better When it comes to mistakes - make them, don't repeat them. Own the continuous elevation of your performance.
Act with agency When it comes to decisions (except when it relates to data and security) -unblock yourself based on your best hunch rather than wait for the ideal person to give an authoritative answer. If you see ways to improve things, pursue them.
Protect our community When it comes to kids - go the extra mile to make sure anything related to their data and security remains safe.
Our engineering culture
- We build for hard-to-reach places
- We build where connections are unreliable and where data is expensive
- Our engineers have high autonomy
- We prioritize shipping solutions, fast
- We trust one another
- We’re motivated to create an easy, effortless experience for teens around the world
For more detail on how we work as a small but mighty engineering team read our blog here.
Some problems we need your help solving
- Design and implement a matchmaking flywheel that ensures every member connects with someone who can help them level up
- Crack the problem of making video and other rich mediums accessible in remote corners of the world where storage and bandwidth are constrained
- Lead the way in keeping our global data safe
- Advance the science of potential by analyzing the efficacy of member learning and engagement
- As a coach, you'll define and manage just enough processes to ensure the delivery of timely, high-quality product experiences. You'll keep the rest of the org informed on deliverables. You'll manage and grow a diverse, world-class engineering team.
- As a player, you'll dive in to write code across a tech stack ready to reach millions of young people across 160+ countries. Our tech stack uses Typescript + React Native on the frontend with a light Rails + GraphQL backend running on App Engine. We're still early and nothing is set in stone, so there's lots of room to craft and improve our stack.
- As a strategist, you'll partner with the exec team. You'll define and effectively communicate a long-term technical vision, and inspire the team and our partners around a shared vision for impact. You'll partner with researchers and data scientists to ensure that our platform helps advance the science of human potential.
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion in team-building
- Extensive experience making engineering teams wiser, more successful, and happier
- Strong ability to develop, construct, test and maintain platform architectures
- Strong intuitions about when to be scrappy and when to be thorough
- Deep understanding and a hands-on approach to keeping platforms performant and reliable
- An affinity for ambiguity, open-ended problems, and wildly difficult challenges
- A love of cross-functional collaboration and the ability to communicate effectively with non-technical partners
- Strong EQ - especially empathy
- Solid ability to say "no"
What you can expect from us
- Contribute to a product with impact that solves problems for a global audience
- Receive medical, dental, and vision + life insurance + 401k
- Enjoy unlimited vacation and generous sick day policies
- Work on a team with a transparent pay structure with equal pay for equal roles (no bias, no behind-the-scenes negotiations)
- Join a remote-first organization with a culture that provides a high level of autonomy
The salary for this role is up to $215,000 with access to full benefits and paid time off.
At Hello World we celebrate and support our differences. We know employing a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our product, and our community to flourish. Hello World is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national orientation, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
U.S. based and direct applicants will be considered – no recruiters please!
To apply, email email@example.com with your resume.