At DHIS 2 we are making a positive impact on the world. DHIS 2 software engineers develop a platform used to improve health care at a global scale. We work directly with end-users in order to understand how our system is being used. DHIS 2 developers work in small teams and have great impact on the product. We are seeking a software engineer who is passionate about developing elegant, high-performance web applications.
DHIS 2 is a web-based, open source data platform used by governments, international development agencies and NGOs in more than 90 countries worldwide. It is currently recognized as the world's most widely adopted e-health information platform. The system is used to improve access and use of information within health, education, sanitation, nutrition, disaster relief and other domains. The platform has become a global standard within international development and has a huge impact on the way health systems are being managed.
DHIS 2 is changing the way developing countries and NGOs manage their health systems and programs through a world class data platform. We work on projects with global reach and scale, such as:
- Disease surveillance and monitoring in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). DHIS 2 is used to notify the right people about possible disease outbreaks so that action can be taken in time.
- COVID-19 case registry and contact tracing in more than 30 countries world-wide.
- HIV/AIDS control in collaboration with PEPFAR, the largest initiative ever for combating a single disease. DHIS 2 is used to collect data and provide analytics and insights into how funding can be spent most effectively.
- Health information management systems with more than 60 ministries of health worldwide, including South Africa, Tanzania, Ghana and Cambodia. DHIS 2 is used to collect and analyze data for areas such as service utilization, family planning and immunization.
- Program monitoring and evaluation with more than 70 NGOs such as Medecins Sans Frontieres, Save the Children, and PSI. DHIS 2 is used to analyse the impact of programs, improve planning and guide resource utilization.
At DHIS 2 you will specialize in building software features for the DHIS 2 open source platform. You will work on features related to analytics, information retrieval, data synchronization, web APIs and data security. The role requires a passion and ability for finding innovative engineering solutions to complex problems.
At our team you will be part of the software design process and have great influence on the end product. We give you the vision and the challenge - you have the freedom to choose your own approach to problem solving. And of course, you can pick your hardware, tools and software of choice.
Our platform is built API-first with an extensible app architecture. We do continuous delivery and short iterations. You can find our source code on GitHub. Check out the backend repository and a typical front-end app repository.
To learn more about how it is to work at DHIS 2, have a look at this video.
- Experience with Java development (Java 8) and Maven.
- Experience with PostgreSQL, MySQL or other relational databases.
- Experience with design and development of Web APIs (preferably using Spring MCV).
- Experience with Java enterprise frameworks such as Spring and Hibernate is a plus but not required.
- Working proficiency and communication skills in verbal and written English.