Nationally recognized nonprofit venture philanthropy seeks an Analyst to support the Diverse Leaders investment area.
NewSchools Venture Fund is a national nonprofit that looks for the people with the ideas that are going to change education and open doors for all children. The call has never been more urgent to innovate — to bring new approaches and new organizations that will give every child a great chance in life. Each and every child has a fundamental right to a real education — one that leaves her ready to create a fulfilling life, make positive change, and help build an equitable future for everyone. Yet, too many children — especially in Black, Latino and low-income neighborhoods — don’t have access to the learning opportunities they need.
We believe the genius to create an equitable education system already exists in our nation, in our communities, and that new ideas must have the support they need to grow. That’s why NewSchools offers not just funding, but partnership and support, to innovators who seek to build strong schools and organizations dedicated to a more just future in education. To get there, we support entrepreneurs in four investment areas: Innovative Public Schools, Learning Solutions, Diverse Leaders and Racial Equity.
DIVERSE LEADERS INVESTMENT AREA
Diverse leadership matters. Yet, in a country where the majority of public school students are children of color, diversity in the field — among teachers, leaders and parent advocates — lags far behind. We invest in efforts to increase the number of Black and Latino educators and education leaders, ventures that serve as diversity, equity and inclusion capacity builders and work to mobilize parents to advocate for change. To learn more about our work, please visit: https://www.newschools.org/investment-areas/diverse-leaders/
The NewSchools team seeks an Analyst to join a fun, passionate and dedicated group of people. In this role, you will be focused on supporting the team to make strong decisions using data, managing the entire data life cycle of the team and ventures, and providing ongoing support and collaboration across the Diverse Leaders Team. In this role, you report to Katiusca Moreno, Senior Partner, and Diverse Leaders team lead. You will work remotely from anywhere in the U.S., though if you are based in the Bay Area, you will be able to work from our office in Oakland, CA when it is safe to do so.
Your legacy at NewSchools will include:
1. Managing our Data Life Cycle Data collection and analysis are integral to our work, enabling us to tell our impact story along with that of our ventures. You will support the Diverse Leaders team by tracking impact metrics and contributing to development efforts. You will…
- Lead data collection efforts, both qualitative and quantitative for all ventures
- Produce detailed, high-quality research analyses and reports that elevate portfolio performance trends and insights for management assistance strategy, thought leadership, and investment decisions
- Ensure our internal database is updated with accurate and timely information for each venture
- Contribute to our development efforts by providing requested information and analysis to inform grant requests and funder reports
- Seek ways to improve our data intake and management processes as our strategy evolves and matures
- Collaborate with key functional teams (i.e. finance, development, research & learning and fellow analysts) for internal and external reporting
2. Support Investment Process We are committed to building a diverse pipeline of visionary entrepreneurs and ensuring that they have a positive, seamless experience from the beginning to end of our funding process. In that spirit, you will…
Contribute to critical work streams across the full continuum of the investment process – outreach and awareness building, application, due diligence, selection, and reporting
Prepare thorough, well-written investment memos for leadership and board approval
Review interim and final reports from our ventures and capture critical lessons learned to inform our strategy and thought leadership efforts
Identify ways to improve our processes to ensure that we are efficient and effective, and that we are appropriately responding to the needs of our ventures
3. Contribute to Venture Support: The value that we offer extends beyond a financial investment. To help our ventures grow and thrive, we provide leaders with a variety of supports that we collectively refer to as “management assistance.” In this role, you will partner with internal colleagues and external contractors to…
Support planning and coordinate the execution of approximately three impactful in-person or virtual events per year for venture leaders
Drive new approaches to support meaningful knowledge sharing and collaboration among our ventures virtually (e.g., social networks, newsletters, etc.)
4. Manage Key Team Operations: We are a small team, and you will play a critical role in helping us maintain a positive team culture and achieve our goals. You will…
Monitor and report on team progress against key objectives
Capture and share major updates with broader team
Support planning for engaging and informative team meetings and retreats
Manage internal systems and projects to support team operations and help us achieve each of these objectives
Provide administrative support in collaboration with team’s executive assistant
Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
Passion for innovation and excellence in public education
Belief that PreK-12 education needs to prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion, and that increased levels of diversity in education will drive improved outcomes for students
Commitment to NewSchools’ core values
Strong strategic thinking and analysis skills
Commitment to continuous learning and improvement
Excellent written and oral communication skills; proven ability to develop and present professional materials (e.g. spreadsheets, written memos, presentations) and communicate effectively with wide variety of people at all levels, internally and externally
Effective project manager with attention to detail, problem-solving skills, and ability to drive to completion
Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and own high-priority tasks and projects with minimal guidance and support
Ability to appropriately prioritize work, manage time effectively and deliver high-quality work
Experience with data collection, data manipulation, and basic statistical analysis using software such as Excel and Airtable
Basic familiarity with communications and website software (e.g., Constant Contact, WordPress)
Working style suited to working in a small office setting with limited support staff, where teamwork and resourcefulness are highly valued
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Demonstrated commitment to serving underserved communities
Minimum 2 years of experience, preferably in PreK-12 education with progressive levels of leadership and responsibility
Experience in consulting, business development, research and/or product management are valued
A competitive compensation package including base salary, performance bonus and complete benefits is available.
The starting salary range for this position is 80,000-90,000 with the potential for up to a 10% annual bonus. Final salary will be determined by experience and qualifications.
The deadline for applying to this role is July 2nd at 12:00pm PST. Priority will be given to applications received by June 25th.
NewSchools Venture Fund has a strong commitment to diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.